If you don't have a budget big enough to hire a professional for your kitchen remodel, a few cheap and inexpensive projects will revitalize your kitchen. These projects include:
- Move smaller appliances: Avoid moving any appliances with gas or plumbing hook-ups (i.e., oven, range, sink, etc.). But do consider moving some of your smaller appliances in a feng shui rearrangement around the kitchen.
- Install stock cabinetry: Stock kitchen cabinets are an inexpensive option for homeowners who want new cabinets. You can go to any home improvement store and buy stock cabinets to match your kitchen. You can hire a cabinetry professional or handyman to install them for less than the cost of custom cabinetry.
- Refinish kitchen cabinets: If your wood kitchen cabinets are in good shape and just need a facelift, you can take off the doors and refinish them on the cheap. This involves sanding them down and then staining or painting them to look almost brand new.
- Invest in under cabinet lighting: To make your cabinets and countertops stand out at night, you can buy lights that attach underneath and plug into the wall outlets. It's an inexpensive way to brighten up your kitchen space without having to hire an electrician.
- Paint wall and ceilings: Go to a home improvement store, buy a few gallons of paint and cover any fingerprints or pawprints with a new coat of paint in the kitchen. Just be sure to caulk any holes before you go to work.
- Install tile flooring: If your kitchen flooring looks particularly worn out and scratched up, you can pull up the flooring and lay down tile. Ceramic tiles are relatively inexpensive, and you can consult with a tiling professional ahead of time about how to lay them.
- Create a backsplash: Akin to installing tiles on the floor, you can also put a backsplash over your oven wall or in an area above your countertops that attracts the eye when walking into the kitchen. Tiles come in many styles and colors to match any kitchen design.
Get More Luxury for Less
To receive blog posts like this one straight in your inbox, subscribe to the blog newsletter.
Written By: Luis Dominguez, President of Domingil Property Solutions